To elevate the quality of humanities' teaching and research, and to be responsible of the literary and historical courses in the school. As the purposes in elevating the quality of teaching and research, the College is equipped with audio-visual room,e-classroom and has different kinds of academic activities very often. Besides, we also encourage our students to study two majors, or have another sub-major beside the main major, so the students could have a more colorful life, and better abilities.
1. Department and Graduate Institute of Chinese Literature, History, Philosophy are established in the College for a long time. Both the faculty and the library are excellent. In fact, the college had already educated many outstanding students.
2. Graduate Institute of Library, Information and Archival Studies and Graduate Institute of Religion are established for the social needs. Graduate Institute of Religion is the first religion institute in the national universities. There are two subdivisions: one of Library and Information Science, and the other of Archival Science in Graduate Institute of Library, Information and Archival Studies.
3. Many students in the College take the Educational Program and more than 70% of them can find a teaching job after the graduation.
4. Department of the College are located in Bai Nian building and Ji Tao building. Pleasant environment and humanistic atmosphere of the buildings make them excellent environments for studying and researching.
5. The College has offered the Humanistic Honor Courses for all of our students to enrich their human affairs. And increasing various courses depend on future's requirement.
There are nine Colleges in the National Cheng chi University, among them, College of Science, College of Communication, College of Foreign Languages and College of Education were derived from our College. Therefore, more than half Departments are incubated from this College.
Our Future Developments are:
1. Planing to add the relevant departments and graduate institutes of humanities disciplines.
2. Increasing interactions among different departments and design programs of interdisciplinary nature.
3. Recruiting more full-time faculty, improving teaching facilities, and expanding research resources.
4. Creating a more harmonious and humanistic atmosphere by renovating the physical environment around the college buildings.
5. Promoting interactions between professors and students by holding more academic and practical activities.
6. Strengthening international exchanges so as to maintain interactions with the current academic world.
--The Humanistic Honor Courses in the College of Liberal Arts of the National Chengchi University
I. The Origin
The establishment of these courses was to be harmony with "Plan on improvement of Humanism Social Science's Education" of Ministry of Education. It was a three years plan. The first year would plan the courses, the second year would try to carry out the plan, and the third year would examine the plan. As the students gave good comment when the plan finished in 2001, therefore it was continued without the subsidy of Ministry of Education.
¢º. The Purpose
The tendency of academic research in nowadays is going after reorganizing between different subjects or different fields. Therefore, "The Humanistic Honor Courses" try to reorganize the study between Departments of Chinese, History, Philosophy, Education and Graduate Institute of Library, Information and Archival Studies in the College of Liberal Arts.
The purposes are:
1. The mutual help between Chinese, History and Philosophy is very often, therefore, through this program, could let students receive different basic theories and research methods.
2. Nowadays, the reformation of education is carrying out in the whole world. And the educators play the main role in the reformation, therefore, Education could be the most important field in the Humanism Field, so those who study Humanistic Field should understand Education. Besides, almost all the excellent students of Chinese, History and Philosophy are going to be teachers, so, if they could learn Education, would be easy to educate the next generation. Therefore, the reorganization of Education is needed in the program.
3. The using of library and to get the proper information is very important for those who devoting to the Humanistic Research. There the reorganization of Library and Information Science is needed in the program, especially in this high information society. The purpose is to help the students to be familiar with the library, and knowing how to use Internet to get the needed information.
In a word, the program reorganizes four Departments and one Graduate Institute. It not only help the students to open the field of vision in the Humanistic Study, but also help the students to get the proper information, therefore the students can possess better research ability.
¢». The Contents of the Courses
The courses are including Religion and Art, Educational Reform in Global Perspective, Current Issues in Contemporary European Philosophy, Introduction to Humanities, The Research Methods of Humanities, Topics of Chinese Characters and Literature, Library and Information Society, Cultural Conflict and Synthesis, An Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods, Integration of Humanities and Technology, Topics of Taiwan Literature, Who is Who in Modern Taiwan. Each course is two credits. As the students finished ten courses would receive a diploma.
IV. The qualifications of application
The College students whose academic achievements are 50% precede in the class, or commented by the department are allowed. But the total members could not over 30.
¢½. The Implement of the Humanistic honor Courses in the College of Liberal Arts of the National Chengchi University
1. To develop the characteristic of the College, and to train excellent researchers.
2. The College students whose academic achievements are 50% preceding in the class, or commented by the department are allowed. But the total members could not over 30.
3. The credits of the courses are included or not in the graduate credits, it depends on each department.
4. At the end of each semester, the students could decide to continue the program or not. If the students stop the program, could not join again. The gotten credits are included or not in the graduate credits, it depends on each department.
5. The members of committee of the program are formed by the chairman of the College and the chairman of each department.
6. The students whose academic achievements are not good or unsatisfied could be forced to stop continuing the program.
7.The application of the program is between April 12th to April 30th each year.
8. Each course is two credits and it's just in one semester. The Contents are:
(1) Religion and Art
(2) Educational Reform in Global Perspective
(3) Current Issues in Contemporary European Philosophy
(4) Introduction to Humanities
(5) The Research Methods of Humanities
(6) Topics of Chinese Characters and Literature
(7) Library and Information Society
(8) Cultural Conflict and Synthesis
(9) An Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods
(10) Integration of Humanities and Technology
(11) Topics of Taiwan Literature
(12) Who is Who in Modern Taiwan
The students should finish the first ten courses. But the contents or the name of the courses could be changed.
9.When the students who join the program could finish the study in four years, should follow the school's rules.
10. As the students finished the program would receive a diploma.
11. This plan is passed by the College Committee, and carried out after sending the reference to Dean's Office.
-- The Program inTeaching Mandarin as a Second Language and The Extension Program of Teaching Mandarin as a Second Language
The Program in Teaching Mandarin as a Second Language(TMSL Program) and The Extension Program of Teaching Mandarin as a Second Language(The Extension Program of TMSL) are interdisciplinary programs developed by the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Foreign Languages and Literature, the College of Education and the Center of International Education and Exchange.
Here two programs are designed for those preparing to teach Mandarin to students whose first language is not Mandarin. Completing the programs, our students will have a basic understanding of language variation, language acquisition, and TMSL methodology. They would possess instructional skills that enable them to teach in diverse settings, and be able to design creative and practical MSL lesson plans.
The detail of all above program could be seen at the Internet website for Chinese version of the College.(http://www.la.nccu.edu.tw)